Silver and Flatware/Norwegian silver marks

I was looking to buy some old Norwegian silverware with different markings.
630-s nm------830-s nm-------60-s nm------630-s-230------630-s nm-----9088-s
09-s nk---o9-sn---830-s nm  cpn.

Can you tell me if this is real silver or just plated?

Hi, Richard. The "830" designation is very common on Norwegian silver. It means 83% silver content. The sterling standard is 92.5% (925). So, you can calculate how much actual silver is involved. I've not seen the other numbers you mentioned so I can't be certain what they represent. It's reasonable to guess that "630" means 63% but I've not seen it before.

The others raise questions.

See these examples: .

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland