Silver and Flatware/Rogers Smith & Co.

Hello Jim,

I have a knife with Rogers Smith & Co.A1 stamped on the back. On the handle is a young girl, in a dress holdng and sanding in a hoop and holding a stick. It appears to be Art Nouveau. I was wondering if you knew about this pattern, what it is called and if it is a commemorative piece.

Thank you for your time,

Hi, Jill.

I'm not familiar with this pattern. This brand originated in 1857 when the company was formed. It continued to be used as a brand even after the company was passed on to other companies. For example, Meriden Britannia used it for a good while. I'm not sure when it went out of use but it may have lasted until at least 1918.

Consider emailing a picture to the pattern matching service at

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland