Silver and Flatware/silver flatware insurance appraisal

I need to get a written appraisal for a set of sterling silver flatware. I am in Orange county Calif. How do I go about getting one?

Hi, Ira.

I feel certain there are professional appraisers near you who can provide a written appraisal. I'd try the Yellow Pages or Google. If you can't find one that way, check with local high end auction houses and antique dealers, If they can't provide the appraisal, they may be able to refer you to someone.

Discuss the appraisal with the appraiser so you understand exactly what the values mean. For example, an "insurance" or "replacement" appraisal may be much higher than the actual market value if you tried to sell the set.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland