Silver and Flatware/trying to confirm time period.

Hi Jim, I have a vase that I purchased from a couple that I worked for.  There is a piece of tape on the bottom that reads “A.N Mitchell got it at curling in 1920“.  There is a stamp engraved and it reads Manf‘d and guaranteed by Standard Silver Co Ltd Toronto.  The number below the stamp is 104.  Any information on this piece would be helpful.  I believe it is glass or crystal but not sure.  Also, what time period would you guess it is from?  Thank you.

Hi, Ruth.

According a reference book I have, this company existed between 1893 and 1912 when it was taken over by International Silver. I do not know if International continued to use the old brand name. So this suggests a date window for manufacture. "104" probably is the model number.

I'm assuming the silver component is silver plate since there is no mention of sterling in the marks. The company seems to have been known for silver plate pieces.

Sorry that I don't have more info.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland