Silver and Flatware/gold flatware

We recently acquired a 144 pc set of gold flatware.  In the box (it looks like teakwood) the label says Thai Stones, 308/5 sukapibun Road, Sattahip.   It is not magnetic at all, like regular metal is. Can you tell me anything about it.

Hi, Louise.

I'm not familiar with this company. I have seen a number of gold plated sets made in Thailand. Since there is no indication that the metal under the gold plating is sterling, it probably is some sort of base metal such as copper, maybe combined with other metals. Such metals probably will not attract a magnet.

Gold plated flatware generally does not have a high value on the secondary market. For example, here is a set that sold recently on eBay:

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland