Silver and Flatware/Mark on a sterling Gorham Versailles dinner fork

Good morning, Jim. I have been studying & collecting sterling silver for over 30 years but this one has me puzzled.  I recently bought some gorgeous Versailles dinner-sized forks (7.75 inches) and they are marked with the usual "lion, anchor, G", "sterling" plus these have the "copyright 88" mark.  They also have a circle cartouche with a D in it.  This D mark has me going through every silver book I have plus looking online.  I have not come up with anything to explain it.  I am familiar with the weight marks (those letters were in a diamond cartouche) and the date marks but this mark is not any of those.  Can you help, please?

Hi, Carol.

I'm sorry to say I do not know the answer.

Here are two other sites to try:

They have answered lots of questions over the years. Photos are required at the first site. I don't know about the second site.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland