Silver and Flatware/Sterling Praying Hands

Sterling praying hands
Sterling praying hands  

Sterling praying hands
Sterling praying hands  
I bought these pair of praying hands at a flea market / garage sale (this event had alittle bit of both going on). It was priced $45. I asked him if he was firm on that price and he went down to $30, which was great and made me want it even more. I have never seen praying hands in sterling silver. They stand almost 6 in tall. Each hand weighs 5.5 oz . That's 11 oz altogether. They are marked "925" on the side (near bottom)  back of hands and also directly on bottom.  I was wondering if you have ever seen praying hands set in sterling? Was $30 a good price or did I overpay? What is the approx. value?  Any info would be great. Thanks..

Hi, Victoria.

I've never seen pieces like this before. There is no reason that pieces like this couldn't be in sterling.

The "925" is a good indicator that these are made of sterling. However, I would feel much more comfortable if there was a manufacturer's mark somewhere. One way to feel better about them is to get other opinions. If antique shows come to your area, take them by to see if any silver dealers will make an offer. You don't have to sell but you would have more information. You might also take them by two or three of those stores that advertise "We Buy Gold". They won't make an offer unless they believe the pieces are sterling. Once you have any offers, you have a bottom price. The upper end of the price range would be paid by someone who wants these for personal use.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland