Silver and Flatware/Military flatware

I have a 7 1/2" table fork with the Rose Leaf pattern made by National Silver Co.  A1. "USN" is stamped in the handle.  Can you please tell me the year or any other information about this piece?
We have other Navy tableware in or small museum but this is the first time we have found a floral designed item.
Thank you.
For some reason I could not get a photo attached.

It's my understanding this pattern was introduced in 1937. Your fork is made of silver plate. The "A1" is an indicator for that.

I agree that it's unusual for a Navy piece to have a floral design but I guess there's no rule against it. Since the specific ship is not named, it's hard to say much else about it.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland