Silver and Flatware/Reed & Barton Flatware

I have 8 Reed & Barton Francis knives.  3 say Mirrorstele, 4 say steel handle, 1 says Mirrorstele Stainless H-C.
What is the difference?  Is there a difference in value?
Thank you.

Hi, Peggy.

Generally, all modern place knives have stainless steel blades. "Mirrorstele" is just R&B's trade name for stainless steel.

I've never seen one that says steel handle. R&B does make stainless steel flatware #in addition to sterling and silver plate#. It's possible you have a stainless steel set.

If you would like to send a clear picture that shows the pattern, I might be able to identify it and the composition. You might also review the R&B patterns at to see if there is a match.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland