Silver and Flatware/Reed & Barton side handle teapot

The pot I have quotes on the bottom:

(Reed & Barton, Silver soldered, 490, 42oz, Muehlebach.) It has a
Wood side handle, it has a design on the side? Something like a chandelier.
I haven't any luck finding a picture on-line anywhere.  
Please do you know anything about this pot?

Hi, Theresa.

Here's an article that describes pieces like this: .

Your teapot probably was made for the Muehlebach Hotel in Kansas City. Generally, pieces like this don't have much value unless there are collectors for pieces from a specific hotel. In the case of the Muehlebach, there might be collectors because so many U.S. Presidents visited that hotel. "490" probably is the model number.

That's about all I know.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland