Silver and Flatware/wm. rogers silverware dating

wm. rogers
wm. rogers  
I'm trying to date some family silverware. On the side of the knives  it reads

Wm. Rogers
Eagle Brand 12 DWT
Willingford Ct.

It has a pointed tip.

Hi, James.

I'm not familiar with this particular pattern.

The Wm Rogers brand was taken over by International Silver in 1898. The "12 DWT" usually references the amount of silver used to plate a certain number of specific pieces, such as 12 teaspoons. DWT stands for pennyweight. 12 DWT is not very much but that is common for silver plate.

I've never seen "Eagle Brand" associated with Wm. Rogers. I have seen it associated with Wm. A. Rogers which was a different company. This latter brand is now owned by Oneida. So, the name does not help me any with dating.

So, my guess is sometime between 1875 and 1898 is the proper date window. Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland