Silver and Flatware/sterling silver place settings

I have a complete 96 piece (12 place settings), along with 4 serving pieces and a child's setting of International Sterling 'Wild Rose' sterling silver. I understand from your articles that it is probably not worth as much as i thought, however i don't use this sterling silver.  My question is ... do i sell it for the weight or is it more valuable as a complete set??? What is the value of my set???I would rather be using this money to help pay my sons' college loans!!

I feel certain you can get a better price selling your set for what it is rather than selling for scrap silver.

You can probably get the best price by finding a buyer who wants a set for personal use. Finding the buyer is the problem. and are two possibilities.

If you would like to receive an offer form me, send an inventory of pieces, along with their lengths, to You can use that as a baseline as you collect other offers. The reason I need the length is to insure I understand what you have. For example, many patterns come with dinner forks in varying lengths.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland