Silver and Flatware/Vermeil Flatware

Vermeil flatware Snake
Vermeil flatware Snake  

hallmark on snake flatware
hallmark on snake flat  
I have 10 pieces of flatware that I recently purchased at a second hand shop. I believe it to be vermeil over sterling. I can't find the hallmark anywhere online and I am hoping you can help identify the hallmark and the name of this unusual pattern.

Hi, Liza.

I can't quite make out the mark in your picture. Pictures often lose some resolution within AllExperts. I don't know why.

In any event, the single mark by itself probably would not indicate sterling content. In the U.S., it would be marked with the word, "Sterling", or at least with "925". Other countries have other marking systems that clearly identify silver content.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland