Silver and Flatware/1831 - 1837 Silver Serving Spoon ID

Spoon Back G&W Stamp
Spoon Back G&W Stamp  

Spoon Front
Spoon Front  
Hello Jim, I have a coin silver serving spoon, approx.  8 7/8 in. long, I believe to be dated between 1831 - 1837, stamped "Gorham & Webster" on the back, and has "Todd Edwards" engraved on the front of the handle. I have attached pictures of the spoon. I was wondering if there's anyway to determine if this may have belonged to Elizabeth Todd Edwards, Mary Todd Lincoln's sister? Any information and help you can provide is deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, Mary.

Your analysis of the date window appears correct since Gorham & Webster existed during that time.

I honestly have no idea about the owner. I suggest you contact a Lincoln museum curator. Perhaps he or she can point you in the right direction.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland