Silver and Flatware/Antique silver hallmarks

Question
Hallmark
Hallmark  

Silver Meat Tray
Silver Meat Tray  
I cam across a beautiful meat tray that has legs and the tree shape drain across the bottom.  It is quite nice with tooling and what looks like hand done piercing along the edges.  Very nice.  It has these hallmarks on the back...
first in individual square shaped impressions is a stylized Y
then a more regular W then a double walled O and last a crown with 3 loops on the crown part.  Then under that it says NS (which I know is for nickel Silver) Under that it says 6051 N, then under that it says 18 IN.  Under that very lightly, I can only see with a magnifying glass is either hand scratched or very lightly stamped some kind of symbol I cant quite make out then what looks like 40265.  Any help would be wonderful..Thanks so very much.  If you have any idea of a value that would be helpful also. Zoie

Answer
Hi Zoie;
Thanks for your post. The item you have is a "footed well & tree" tray from between 1903 up to World War II made by the Wallingford CO, INC. The 6051N is a pattern number in place of a pattern name, the border is applied (rather than stamped)and the Acanthus boughwork seems to be hand chased. I especially like the openwork along the border. That transparency gives the Chameleon Effect of going with what ever surface you put it on.
The other number & symbol may have been scratched for tracking or identifying purposes. Valuation is best left to those doing that on a full time basis. You might try looking in a local store selling previously owned silver for a similar item in the same condition to get the most realistic value.
If this is a family item, it's a keeper and too nice not to leave to someone special. You will know if it's time for replating when you see the color change from silver to a metal yellower than silver, but whiter than brass. This is the base metal coming through and while there is no toxicity using it like that, will leave certain food tasting acrid or metallic. Silver plating corrects this.
Feel free to contact me again about such heirlooms.  

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul