Silver and Flatware/Highland silver goblets

Hi Jim

I have 2 silver wine goblets, in their original box, left to my husband by his grandmother.
They have a continuous grape vine etched around the upper half, and a tiny M stamped near the centre of the underside.
Can you please tell me what you can of the origin and value.

Hi, Beka.

The "M" could represent a number of manufacturers. Since there is no mark to indicate that they are made  of sterling, they probably are made of silver plate or some other metal.

Is it possible for you to send a picture of the "M" mark? Also, is there any information on the box?

Sorry I've been no help so far.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland