Silver and Flatware/Holmes and Edwards Silverplate Flatware

I would like to know where I can go to find the years of manufacture for certain patterns of Holmes and Edwards Inlaid Silverplate Flatware.  I learned that the company was bought out by the International Silver Company in 1899, but the silverplate flatware was still stamped with "Holmes and Edwards" until they quit the dinnerware business in 1982.

I would love to know what years the company manufactured their inlaid silverplate flatware for patterns Nassau (1899), Jamestown (1916), Century (1923), Lovely Lady (1937), Danish Princess (1938), Charm (1949), and May Queen (1951).  I know the year that each of those patterns was introduced, but I do not know they year that each pattern was discontinued, and that information is very important for me to know because I own sets of each of those patterns and I intend to give them to my children and granddaughters so they can start a family heirloom of their own.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for the courtesy of your reply.

Steven Hayes Sr.

Hi, Steven.

I'm afraid I can't help you. I have an excellent reference on silver plate flatware but it only lists the dates of pattern introduction.

The only thing I can recommend is to contact International Silver directly. The corporate structure has changed over the years but I hope archives were preserved somewhere.

I'm sorry I was no help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland