Silver and Flatware/Silver Coins

I recently purchased some Morgan Silver Dollars. I have polished almost all of them not knowing, till now, that I may have destroyed there numismatic value. I used Weimans' silver polish that does remove tarnish. Have I screwed up big time??

Hi, Douglas.

Honestly, I don't know. I'm not involved with coins very much. I feel like the rarity of a coin will have more influence over price than what you've done.

One thing I have noticed - the high price of commodity silver over the past couple of years has caused the value of some Morgan silver dollars to be not far from scrap value. I guess they made a bunch of them in some years.

Review actual sales of similar coins on eBay to see what they have sold for.

Sorry I could help more. Check with a couple of coin dealers in your area.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland