Silver and Flatware/silver creamer

Question
I have a sliver creamer that I know is at least 60 years old but I cant find any markings. The only numbers on the bottom are 800 or 008 depending on which way you turn it. Are there other ways to identify these type of items

Answer
Hi Missy;
Thank you for your inquiry. The creamer you describe is made of "800" silver. That is a European (usually Italian or German) blend of 800 parts of silver and 200 parts other metal, probably copper.
This is neither sterling silver nor silver plate. Sterling silver is 925 parts parts 1000 and 75 parts other metal usually copper while silver plate is a skin of pure silver over a non precious base metal such as copper, brass, nickel silver and other alloys.
Blends such as yours are less valuable than their sterling silver counterpart, but tend to be more durable as silver is a relatively soft metal.
I hope this answers your question and if it inspires more interest, feel free to post as often as you'd like.
Enjoy your silver,
Mitch Paul

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul