Silver and Flatware/Tiffany Flatware

Hi Jim,
Tiffany has a pattern called Olympian from 1878. My question is did they have a very similar design for another patern also marked 1878. The reason I ask is the ladle that I have is the same design but all the pieces I find have a woman on the back and mine has a man with a beard on the back of the bowl it also has a knob on the back (so it wont slide into the bowl is my guess) do many of Tiffanys large ladles have a knob (i'm not sure what else to call it. The bowl is not fluted so again im guessing it is not a punch ladle. I know you would like pictures but I can do them at this moment.

Hi, Jay.

I don't know if they had another pattern dated 1878.

Some manufacturers had some patterns that used different designs on different pieces. For example, Reed & Barton's Les Cinq Fleurs had different flower patterns on the various pieces.

Maybe Tiffany represented different Greek gods on your pattern! That is really a wild guess.

The knob on your spoon was fairly common on large serving pieces. I have not seen it on a punch ladle but it makes sense.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland