Silver and Flatware/Wm. Rogers & Son made in China

Is the Wm Rogers made in China silverplate made of silver over copper?
Why is the older Wm Rogers silverplate more valuable when it seems like the same items also being made today?

Hi, Linda.

I don't know anything about the metallic composition of Chinese-made pieces. I don't keep track of prices of new silver plate but I do know that the vast majority of used silver plate flatware has low value. It could be that a few patterns have higher value because of popularity of the pattern.

You may find some retailers who charge high prices for silver plate flatware but they generally are going after buyers who want to add pieces to existing sets, especially for discontinued patterns. Most patterns have been discontinued. An individual trying to sell similar pieces will not attract those prices.

Without knowing the specific pattern involved, I can't answer definitely your question about old vs new. I have heard from some readers that newer pieces seem to weigh less than the old.

FYI, this brand was taken over by International Silver in 1898. They continued to use the brand for many years.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland