Silver and Flatware/What is this?

My mother has had this in the garage for years and recently asked me to figure out the value, but I don't really even know what it is. I know it's very old and it's from Russia. Any info would be great, thank you!

Hey Lorin;
A samovar is a Russian tea urn and was part of a cultural tradition from about the early 1800's on. What you have is from about 1880-1910 and was probably smuggled out as the samovar for family was considered a national/local treasure and was not for export or use outside of the country.
You'll probably see "stampings" with faces, symbols and Cyrillic (Russian) words, these are for duties applied and the more you have supports authentication there by increasing the value and collect-ability.
I'm not an appraiser or auctioneer but with these things on my radar I've seen them go from 450.00 al the way up to 1,800.00-2,200.00.
You notice there is no burner but rather a chamber in the center for filling with hot coals and a trap door on the bottom for the ashes.
The urn, lid, chimney, and crown seem to be in parity and all the wood insulators on the handles and top flange seem to be there, but you're missing the wood finial from the spigot handle.
This would have had some add ones such as a tray, drip bowl and a small kettle that would rest atop the crown on the chimney. All those enhance the value.
Samovars were an important part of Russian/American Judaica as they usually accompanied refugees of the pogroms an purges from the time.
it looks like it was nickel plated over brass. Depending on the condition restoration may enhance, maintain or possibly diminish the value.
I hope this is of some use to you and if you have any more questions feel free to post me again.
Enjoy! Mitch Paul  

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul

Identifying and dating Sterling, Coin and Silver plate. Finding difficult to find marks on silver. Not involved in weaponry,jewelry or musical instruments (this is best offered by those working full time in those fields) Not involved in valuing or appraising items.

Conducting restoration events in fine jewelry, china crystal & silver stores and bridal registries from coast to coast. Primarily involved in restoration, plating & repair of heirloom, decorative, presentation items. Flatware, hollow ware, dresser ware, alter and religious items and personal goods.

Society of American Silversmiths.

Mostly attending lectures and researching goods submitted for prospective restoration and repair. With a background in infectious disease / public health and spending hours and years over a microscope, it makes finding those hidden, diminished and difficult to locate maker marks a welcome challenge.

The only entry I can place here is the interest of establishments hosting our events season after season and many repeat customers.

Upon request and best based upon locality.