Silver and Flatware/flatware

kayceeDenver wrote at 2014-04-22 20:05:32
Mitch Paul, the "expert" is mistaken on one point.  From his answer, he assumes that "mirorstele" refers to the entire piece of flatware. That is not the case.  "Mirorstele" only applies to, and appears on the blade part of the table knife. It designates that the blade is not silver, or silverplate, of course.  I know, because I own a set of this flatware, and have for years. Although it was made by Reed & Barton, Princess House Crystal also sold it for a number of years, under the pattern name "Princess Heritage."  The info. that came with it indicated that it had as much silver as sterling, except that it has a different base metal.  Each piece is heavy and substantial; nothing cheap about it.  

kayceeD wrote at 2014-04-23 16:05:45
"Mirorstele" is what the blade of the table knife is made of. It has nothing to do with the silverplating. The blade is obviously stainless steel, and not silverplated. I own this pattern. It is substantial and heavy-weight, sturdy silverplated flatware, and several notches above silverplated flatware that is generally available.  

KayceeD wrote at 2014-04-23 16:14:08
Having owned a set of Wisteria for many years, I can tell you that the base metal is something yellow colored in the very few tiny places where the silverplating has worn through. Brass? Someone else may know? But it is not regular stainless underneath. As I mentioned in my other post, the "Mirrorstele" refers only to the blade of the table knife.  

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul

Identifying and dating Sterling, Coin and Silver plate. Finding difficult to find marks on silver. Not involved in weaponry,jewelry or musical instruments (this is best offered by those working full time in those fields) Not involved in valuing or appraising items.

Conducting restoration events in fine jewelry, china crystal & silver stores and bridal registries from coast to coast. Primarily involved in restoration, plating & repair of heirloom, decorative, presentation items. Flatware, hollow ware, dresser ware, alter and religious items and personal goods.

Society of American Silversmiths.

Mostly attending lectures and researching goods submitted for prospective restoration and repair. With a background in infectious disease / public health and spending hours and years over a microscope, it makes finding those hidden, diminished and difficult to locate maker marks a welcome challenge.

The only entry I can place here is the interest of establishments hosting our events season after season and many repeat customers.

Upon request and best based upon locality.