Silver and Flatware/Guarantee Certificcate WmRogers * Overlaid

I have a set of the Treasure pattern (Wm Rogers 1940), no monogram. I have the original "Guarantee Certificate," which states the set has a lifetime guarantee; and I have the Sears insert that came with the 72 piece set. I have used this silverware for a very long time. I am wondering if the lifetime guarantee covers the wearing-off of the silver overlay? This set was purchased in the 40's. The Guarantee is from "International Silver Co." I hope that the guarantee is still in effect. To whom should I address an inquiry about re-plating or repair of some pieces that are no longer very attractive due to wear on the silver overlay? In advance, thank you for your reply. Respectfully, Mary Elizabeth Ambery

Hi Ms. Amberly;
Thank you for your inquiry. If Sears or International were to comply with the guarantee, it would probably be by replacement with a new, inferior, currant import rather than restoring your heirlooms. However with the diminishing quality of new items, restoration is a preferred option to replacement.
International Silver has changed hands many times since the production of your set and tracing down the responsible party will be a challenge. Sears might offer a resolution and while you have the insert, they might require an original receipt offering guarantee benefits only to the original purchaser.
Some think it is deceptive and misleading, but as most warranties they favor the provider.
I wish you the best of luck on your quest. Feel free to contact me if I can be of more assistance.
Enjoy your silver,
Mitch Paul

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul

Identifying and dating Sterling, Coin and Silver plate. Finding difficult to find marks on silver. Not involved in weaponry,jewelry or musical instruments (this is best offered by those working full time in those fields) Not involved in valuing or appraising items.

Conducting restoration events in fine jewelry, china crystal & silver stores and bridal registries from coast to coast. Primarily involved in restoration, plating & repair of heirloom, decorative, presentation items. Flatware, hollow ware, dresser ware, alter and religious items and personal goods.

Society of American Silversmiths.

Mostly attending lectures and researching goods submitted for prospective restoration and repair. With a background in infectious disease / public health and spending hours and years over a microscope, it makes finding those hidden, diminished and difficult to locate maker marks a welcome challenge.

The only entry I can place here is the interest of establishments hosting our events season after season and many repeat customers.

Upon request and best based upon locality.