Silver and Flatware/polishing stainless

Question
I see many articles about cleaning and removing tarnish, but that is not my problem. I recently bought replacement pieces that had a high shine compared to my old stuff. When I looked closely at my old stuff, I could see thousands of tiny scratches from years of use. Can I get the gloss back?

I imagine there should be some abrasive product that can remove some enough metal to eliminate the scratches. Then if it leaves a satin finish, a finer abrasive should restore the surface to "optically smooth." Is this possible?

Answer
Hi Victor and thanks for your interest;
Just like permanent press clothes wrinkle, drip-less candles drip, stainless steel scratches and discolors.
Over time the surface of all all metals develop a patina that is charming but when they get too distressed they need to be refinished. That's when hand polishing won't do and machine resurfacing is called for.
That involves dissolving surface deposits that might have built up over the years then shining the metal on a polishing wheel with compounds starting with a coarse grade going to a finer and finer grade till you get the bright high polish that matches the less distressed items.
This is best left for those experienced working with stainless as it is much harder than most non ferrous metals and requires compounds specifically for this.
If I can be of any more service, let me know.
Enjoy your stainless,
Mitch Paul  

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul