Silver and Flatware/Reed&Barton Columbia Silverplate

I bought what was labelled as Columbia pattern Silverplate with Mirrorstele knife blades. I cleaned the set with silver polish so I know it's silver. The backs of the pieces say ReedandBarton and  PATAPPL'DFOR. I read Columbia was only made in Sterling. Have you heard of the pattern in silverplate? I studied pictures of Columbia pieces and mine match.

Hi, Sara.

I'm not familiar with a silver plate version of Columbia but that does not mean they never made such a set.

The backs of the forks and spoons should define what you have. If the word, "Sterling", or the number "925", is not there, it's highly likely it is not sterling. Reed & Barton followed the American practice of labeling all sterling pieces as such.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland