Silver and Flatware/Silver creamer and sugar

stamp on creamer/sugar
stamp on creamer/sugar  
Hello,  I have a sterling silver creamer and sugar stamped "Colonial Silver Co.  Quadruple Plate Portland ME #1680.  Can you tell me what they are worth?

Hi Ms. Forty and thanks for your inquiry. What you have is a sugar bowl & creamer from between about 1899 and 1910. It was made by the Colonial Silver Co. which operated in Portland, ME from 1899 - 1943 and was the successor to the Stevens Silver Co in Portland 1879-1899. The number 1680 was a pattern number used in place of a style or pattern name.
It is silver plated which is a skin of pure silver over a non precious base metal as opposed to sterling silver which is 975 parts per thousand silver and 75 parts per thousand copper or other metals.
The "skin" however has worn off exposing the base metal known as Britannia. This looks like pewter because it has the same ingredients but in different proportions and when the silver wears off it can be restored without compromising the value of the set and would maintain and enhance the value as the base metal has a tendency to deteriorate when the plating wears off.
The values of some other types of silver plate could be effected and one should go with the advise of a restoration advisor affiliated with a quality referral.
Unfortunately, my area of expertise is not valuation, so I could not give an appraisal, however  have seen similar sets for between 10.00 and 125.00.
Restoration would cost much more than the value, but if they are heirlooms and you would want to keep them in the family, restoration may be a good option for you.
This type of silver has been referred to as "Victorian Quadruple Plate" known for its classic and in most cases ornate design and has become more and more collectable over the years. With the fascination of the "Gilded Age" revival a surprising number of young people are desiring such items.
Without restoration many such items won't make it well into the next century making the the preserved items appreciate in value.
I hope this is information you can use and feel free to contact us if we can be of further assistance.
Enjoy your silver, Mitch Paul

Silver and Flatware

Mitch Paul

Identifying and dating Sterling, Coin and Silver plate. Finding difficult to find marks on silver. Not involved in weaponry,jewelry or musical instruments (this is best offered by those working full time in those fields) Not involved in valuing or appraising items.

Conducting restoration events in fine jewelry, china crystal & silver stores and bridal registries from coast to coast. Primarily involved in restoration, plating & repair of heirloom, decorative, presentation items. Flatware, hollow ware, dresser ware, alter and religious items and personal goods.

Society of American Silversmiths.

Mostly attending lectures and researching goods submitted for prospective restoration and repair. With a background in infectious disease / public health and spending hours and years over a microscope, it makes finding those hidden, diminished and difficult to locate maker marks a welcome challenge.

The only entry I can place here is the interest of establishments hosting our events season after season and many repeat customers.

Upon request and best based upon locality.