Silver and Flatware/Silver or silverplate English fish knife

We have this silver or silverplate knife, presumably a fish knife. I have attached pictures of the pattern and marks. All we know is that is was brought from England in the 1950s. We have had no luck finding out anything about this piece of flatware other than it might be John Harrison/Sheffield. Thank you for your assistance!

Hi, Becky.

I believe you are correct in that this appears to be from The John Harrison Norfolk Works. The shield mark is consistent with John Harrison.

This piece is made of silver plate. It appears that some of the plating has worn off.

The firm was one of the first Sheffield companies to use electroplating. I'm guessing that your piece was made in the middle of the nineteenth century. This is based upon the years the company was in business and the fact that the classic design is consistent with that era.

It probably does not have a great value if you tried to sell it. However, I can't be certain of that because of its age. Here's an example of an actual sale last year of John Harrison flatware: .

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland