Silver and Flatware/date of silverplate water pitcher

I have a silver plated water pitcher, at least 100 years old.

On bottom is "1847 Silver Co." and "Quadruple" with # 373 below

I want to know how old the pitcher is, where it was made. The number "373" I assume means it was one of 373 pitchers made of this type?

James Hightower
Tyrone, Georgia

Hi, James.

I'm not familiar with "1847 Silver Co." I wonder if this was an attempt to emulate the "1847 Rogers" brand, now owned by International Silver.

"Quadruple" means that the layer of silver on the surface is thicker than normal. However, it is still extremely thin.

The "373" probably is a model number.

It's hard to say when the pitcher was made since I can't identify the company. The fact that it has a model number probably indicates it was made after 1900 but that's no guarantee.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland