Silver and Flatware/Towle Old Master Pattern

The Old Master Design by Towle began in 1942. However, some pieces have the family "mark" stamped on the back (T with lion) & Towle Sterling: Yet some pieces of the same pattern only have Towle Sterling Pat.

Do you know what year they stopped stamping the "mark" on their silver and does it make a difference in the value?

Thank you,

Hi, JoAnn.

I believe they stopped using that mark in the 1950's but I am not certain. It's been my experience that the difference in marks does not have a great impact on value - maybe none at all. To my way of thinking, condition is more important. I should be totally accurate here by syaing that to a minority of collectors, the mark does make a difference. But the size of that group is small, I think.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland