You are here:

Silver and Flatware/wallace and sons


handle for pattern
handle for pattern  

box and set
box and set  
Can u I'd this antique carving set? Pattern? Age?
Seems like solid sterling.
Thank you

Hi, Liz.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I was looking through my references but could not find an exact matches. There were a couple I found that were close at

I doubt the pieces are solid sterling. Typical construction for pieces like this is a sterling hollow handle that has a thin layer of sterling on the surface of the handle and the inside contains a cement compound to hold the blade or tines in place. The business end is usually made of stainless steel or (for older pieces) silver plate. I don't know what the sharpener is made of.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,


Silver and Flatware

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Stringer


I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........


Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland

©2017 All rights reserved.