You are here:

Silver and Flatware/Flatware marks


When you look at the back of flatware it usually says the company name and says sterling or plated etc.... How do you find out who makes it when the only marks on the back are the letter P with what looks like a wide " V" underneath it.
Thanks for your time and expertise

Hi, Bob.

This site has some marks identified: . Also, Look under the sterling and silver plate sections at both sites.

Since "sterling" is one flatware. I imagine it's silver plate or stainless steel.

Best wishes,


Silver and Flatware

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Stringer


I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........


Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland

©2017 All rights reserved.