Silver and Flatware/Louis XIV Sterling Holloware 10" Centerpiece

Hi Jim,

I believe I have found a Louis XIV 10" sterling Holloware Centerpiece/ Footed Center Bowl.  My concern is that it is not marked sterling.  It tested sterling with acid.  The bowl is light weight and the imprint of the pattern can be seen through from the inside of the bowl to the outside.  It is marked on the bottom: 52021 and Patented Dec 23. 1919.  
There are also 4 small etchings below the patent - shapes of some sort.  My question is: Is this truly Louis XIV Sterling?  And is this some type of prototype b/c it is not marked?  Any information you can provide would be helpful.  Thank you so much!

Replacements includes a bowl with this model number on this page: .

I do not know why a sterling piece from this era would not be marked as sterling, even a prototype.

Is the manufacturer mark (Towle) on it anywhere?

Consider posting your question with pictures on the forum at  Maybe a participant in the forum will know.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland