Silver and Flatware/Reed & Barton Set

Full set photo
Full set photo  
I am stumped on finding any info on this set, they were found in a bag with early 1900's sterling items.They are stamped "Reed & Barton" and the knife has what looks like a "3" and the fork has a "2" on the stem, I first thought it was a child's set but the size seems bigger. The knife is engraved with owls and vines or something. They look like they are sterling but I don't know for sure. The knife weighs 32 grams and is 7 1/4" long with a flat handle. The fork weighs 20 grams and is 6" long They are in near mint condition. Any light that you can shed on age and value would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Chuck.

I don't know what this pattern is. Without the word, "Sterling", or the number, "925", on the back, there is a high probability the set is not made of sterling. Reed and Barton made hundreds of patterns in silver plate and stainless steel. Perhaps, this set fits into one of those categories.

The shape of the knife blade makes me think the set might date back to the early 1900's but that's not a guarantee. Since it probably is not sterling, any value is based upon the uniqueness of the design. Normally, used silver plate and stainless steel pieces are valued at about one dollar each when sold by an individual. Since this design is different, the value might be a bit higher.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland