Silver and Flatware/Silverware

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.  What does an 800 mean on a silverware or flatware mark?  Does it mean 80% silver?  I looked at the marks that you had listed and I couldn't find my marks in your list.  I'll keep trying.
Thanks again,

In several countries, especially in Europe, "800" does indicate 80% silver content. That's not as high as sterling (92.5%) but still significant. Such pieces will have more value than silver plate pieces. Value is generally pattern-specific but a minimum value is in the $20 to $35 range per piece for "800" pieces,depending on weight.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland