Silver and Flatware/Bigelow, Kennard & Co.

Hello.  Found a small pearl handled knife, curled to a pointy tip on the end, quite sharp still.  It has the name Bigelow, Kennard & Co. on the blade, which I am assuming is sterling?  Where the steel meets the handle there is some movement, not real stable, almost as if it could snap if used.  Thank you for your thoughts.

Hi, Mary.

It would be unusual for a knife blade to be made of sterling since sterling is generally considered too soft for this purpose. Most blades are made of stainless steel or silver plate.

Knife blades often have a long slender shaft that fits down in the handle and is held in place with a cement compound. Over the years, this compound can crack resulting in a loose connection as you described.

This company existed in several forms until about 1922. It's hard to say exactly when the knife might have been made. Depending on its size, it might be a master butter knife or a fish knife.

I do not know its value. My guess is that it does not have a great value but it depends on the pattern and demand for that pattern.

Sorry I don't have more info.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland