Silver and Flatware/R&B Pearl Handled Sterling Serving Pieces- unknown year and make

Dear Mr. Stringer,
Can you help identify these pieces?  They were from a family estate and I am trying to determine a brand, year, and possible value.  The ladle is stamped R&B and sterling, the fork is only stamped sterling.  Thank you for your help!

I don't have any personal experience with pieces like this but I'll offer some thoughts.

I'm assuming the "R&B" stands for Reed and Barton. They did make a few pearl-handled pieces. One key to value would be to determine exactly what is made of sterling. Often with pieces like this, only the bolster joining the implement and handle is made of sterling. If you find the word, "Sterling", only on the bolster, there is a good chance that is the only sterling component. One the other hand, if the word appears on the implement portion, that would indicate that the implement and the bolster are both sterling.

If the implement is not sterling, it probably is made of silver plate or stainless steel.

I have not been able to find sales of pieces like this from R&B. Therefore, I'll guess about value. If the bolster is the only sterling component, the value is probably in the $50 to $150 range. If all non-pearl components are sterling, I'd guess the value is more in the $150 to $300 range.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland