Silver and Flatware/Spoon Collection

Old Spoons
Old Spoons  
Hello - I have an old spoon collection, 76 pieces, left to us by my wife's aunt who passed away a while back. The spoons are from many places in the United States and some from other countries. Some of the spoons appear to be very old. There is a Rogers Bros 1847, there are 8 Rolex spoons that look very old, and quite a few others from possibly the 1800's. Not quite how to value collection. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks

Hi, Mike.

I don't deal much in souvenir spoons. I have observed that the selling range for a single spoon varies greatly depending upon its value to collectors. Those marked as "Sterling" will generally sell for more. FYI, the "Rogers 1847" spoon does not mean the spoon was made in 1847. That's the founding date of the company. I have sold a few spoons in this category and have gotten as little as $5 and as much as $40 per spoon.

There are several web sites that focus on this topic. I'd search around for them and maybe communicate with the site owners. You might also look at actual sales on eBay. Many spoons like this sell there.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland