Silver and Flatware/difference in silvermakers

Question
QUESTION: My tea set is "Hostess Plate" Old English Reproduction  E.P. Copper, inscribed by hand: #22407. I'm looking for a matching coffee pot but can't find anything only similar shaped  Wm. A. Rogers Old English Reproductions. What is the difference between Wm A Rogers & E.P. Copper? Can you give me more info on my tea set, please.

ANSWER: Hello.

"Wm. A. Rogers" is one of the many silver companies with "Rogers" in the name. This particular brand was taken over by Oneida sometime early in the 20th century. So, as you search for similar pieces, look under Oneida as well. What makes things confusing is that the brand, "Wm. Rogers", was taken over by International Silver Company.

"E. P. Copper" means that a piece is silver plating on top of a copper base. "E.P." stands for "electroplated". The term, "Hostess", is either the name of a pattern or the name of a line of products.

I know I probably have not addressed all your questions. Feel free to ask a follow up once you have reviewed this answer.

Best wishes,

Jim

tea pot
tea pot  
QUESTION: How should I search for this tea set in the grape pattern? By which company? It doesn't say on the tea pot. ( Hostess Plate Old English Reproduction E.P.Copper)I'm not sure if its Wm. A Rogers, Oneida or International Silver?

Answer
I have searched all my references to try to find a manufacturer with "Hostess" in the name or one that manufactured a line of hollowware called that name. I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Here are a couple of suggestions. Take a picture of the marks on the bottom and post that picture along with the one you posted for me as a question on the forum at www.925-1000.com. A number of experts participate and maybe one will recognize this. That forum groups questions by broad topic so post under something like "American silver plate".

You might also send the same pictures to the pattern matching service at www.replacements.com. They might be able to help.

Sorry that I have been no help.

Best wishes,

Jim

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer