Silver and Flatware/Gorham Silver Serving Spoon

Serving Spoon
Serving Spoon  

Mr. Stringer,

I have a Gorham serving spoon and was wondering if you could estimate its worth. I have attached photos of the piece. The handle has an engraving with a dedication to "Lt. Gov. Jabez Bowen" and is dated 1780. The bottom side of the handle also has an interesting crest design and the Gorham logo. My concern is that it may be a replica. Please let me know your opinion or any other resources to determine the source and value of this piece.

Thank you,

I know nothing about this spoon but I did find this note on the web that discusses one like it: . This makes sense because the earliest possible date for any Gorham piece would be 1831.

Hope this helps.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland