Silver and Flatware/pattern identification

galt fork
galt fork  
Attached see photo of  dinner fork. I was given 4.  Mark on back says m.w.galt&bro. Patent 1867. And has lion and other mark. Think it might be coin silver. Can you identify metal and pattern?

The company used the name, "M. W. Galt & Bro." between 1847 and 1879. An interesting note about the company during this period is that Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were both customers.

I can't say just by looking at the spoon what the content is but it's highly likely that it's coin silver.

I could not find any reference to a lion as part of a mark used by Galt. I wonder if some other company, such as Gorham, made this piece on behalf of Galt. Gorham did use a lion in their marks. And Gorham made several "medallion" patterns like this during the same general time frame.

So, at this point, I have not been able to identify the pattern but I'll keep looking. As you search, include Gorham in the process as well as Galt. Also, check the Gorham marks at

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland