Silver and Flatware/silver plate vs. stainless steel

I have tried to find the history on our inherited flatware.  It says, "First Love" International and the box is 1847 Rogers Bros.  The knives say stainless.  I get no results on my internet search for "First Love" stainless steel; only "First Love" silverplate info shows up.  Was "First Love" produced in both stainless and silverplate?

Part 2:  We have speculated my mother-in-law might have bought these at a hostess party or via a door-to-door salesman, as this purchase would be surprising for her.  Do you know how these were marketed? Thank you sincerely.

It's common for knife blades to be made of stainless steel. I imagine your set is mostly made of silver plate. The handles of the knives probably have an outer shell of silver plate with the inside of the handles filled with a cement compound to hold the blades in place. I don't think First Love was ever made in a fully stainless steel set. This article talks about sterling knives but it applies to silver plate patterns as well: .

I don't know about how First Love was sold but I would not be surprised if there were parties as you described. Westmorland sold pieces door-to-door and also "piece of the month" methods. So, if Westmorland did something like this, maybe International Silver followed suit. FYI, International Silver introduced First Love in 1937.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland