Silver and Flatware/letter opener pattern

letter opener
letter opener  

detail of handle
detail of handle  
Picked up this letter opener at a flea market on Cape Cod MA maybe 10 years ago; the pattern of the handle intrigued me.
I have not been able to find out any info on on it, and the only markings are 'STERL-SILV' and W-GERMANY
I think it may be a one off made by an artist, and think it is from the 1950's or 60's in a brutalist style.
Any ideas or info would be welcome.  I think having serving pieces in this pattern would be really nice

I've not seen anything like this before. The marks don't conform to the standard German sterling marks but if this was handmade, the silversmith may have created the marks for himself or herself. See the article on German sterling marks at

I don't know where to find other pieces in this pattern but you might send an email to to see if they have any. You can find the email information on their website.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland