Silver and Flatware/Parker Casper & Co. Piece

Bottom Plate
Bottom Plate  

Full View
Full View  
We found this piece buried in dirt in my grandmothers cellar.  We haven't been able to find much about Parker Casper or anything about the piece online.  Hoping you can hope with what this is as well as, the value of the piece.

The markings are as follows:
Parker Casper & Co on top arc.
The number 81 appears in the center of the markings.
W Meridian CT printed straight across the bottom.

Thank you for your time.  We anxiously await your findings.

David Ficarella

Parker & Casper Co. was formed in 1866 in Meriden, CT. In 1869, they were taken over by Wilcox Silver Plate Co, which was itself taken over by International Silver Company in 1898. I do not know how long the Parker Casper mark was used by Wilcox and International, if at all. However, it was common for the buying company to continue to use marks from the old company.

I think Parker & Casper pieces were made generally of silver plate or "britannia metal". This was a pewter-like metal (no silver included) that had a silver appearance.

The "81" on your piece probably is a model number or pattern number.

Since it is highly probable your piece contains little silver (if it's silver plate) or no silver (if it's Britannia), the value is not related to silver content. The piece is unique and, assuming it can be polished up nicely, any value will be based upon its design. I have no experience with this manufacturer but I did find a couple of sales of pieces from the company on eBay. They were unique also but not the same as yours. They sold for about $30 each.

There are a couple of sets on eBay that have not sold yet for which the seller is asking quite a lot. You might follow these to see if they actually sell and for what. Just search for "Parker Casper" on eBay.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland