Silver and Flatware/silver tray

I have a silver tray that is stamped with Hamon Silver Manufacturing Company. It has numbers on it that read 1187/15 with an anchor symbol. Below that is a cup symbol and says special metal. Can you tell me anything about this plate?

I have not run across the "Hamon" name on any silver pieces. There was a company called "Homan". It existed under several different names between 1847 and 1941 in Cincinnati. Sometimes, they included an anchor in their marks. They also included a plain cup on some pieces. If this follows the general practice in the industry, "1187" may be the model or catalog number and "15" may relate to the size. "Special metal" has no standard meaning in the industry. When I see a term like this, I usually consider the piece to be made of silver plate or perhaps it contains no silver at all. Here's an article on the subject:

Several Homan platters or trays have sold on eBay recently. The price ranged between $6 and $40 with most clustering in the $10 to $20 range.

Hope this helps.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland