Silver and Flatware/Wm. Rogers and Son victorian rose

Can you tell me if Wm. Rogers and Son created the Victorian Rose pattern flatware in both sterling and silver plate?  I can only find reference to it in silver plate.  My mother in law insists it's sterling.  She is holding all of the flatware until she can complete the sets.  I don't have access to it to see if it's marked sterling or not.  If they did not make sterling then I am going to buy my own set in silver plate to use while I'm still able and then when we inherit the others they can be added together.  Thank you for your help.

In 1898, the Wm. Rogers brand was taken over by International Silver Company. They also took over several other companies with "Rogers" in the name as well as some not named "Rogers". International continued to use the brands for many years. In 1954, they created the "Victorian Rose" pattern in silver plate. I have never seen it in sterling.

Is there a diplomatic way of asking mother-in-law what the words and symbols are on the back of a spoon or fork? You could tell her that this pattern has been associated with more than one Rogers company and you want to make sure you have the right one. This is actually true. If the word, "Sterling", is not there, it's not sterling. It would make no sense for International to manufacture a sterling piece and not mark it as such.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that no sterling in this pattern was ever made. I can say that it would be extremely rare. Buying silver plate would be a safe bet. Look for bargains on eBay but make sure you buy from someone who allows full refund if you are not satisfied. The condition of silver plate can vary greatly. Plan on paying a dollar or two per piece - maybe a bit more for specialty pieces.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland