Silver and Flatware/925 sterling

back of spoon - HM
back of spoon - HM  

Hello - We have a large set of silverware. All pieces, except knives are marked 925 STERLING with hallmark of GR. I believe it's sterling, not plated, but need your expert guidance. I also see what looks like hand etched marks on SS blades that read Solingen Rostfrei with same RG hallmark. It is a very old and simple pattern. It weighs 91 Troy oz. Can you help me identify and value? Thank you so much for your help and guidance.

This looks like the Alt Heidelberg pattern from the German manufacturer Gebruder Reiner. Look at the pictures on this page to see what you think: . The referenced page has some basic information about the pattern.

I could not find any sales of this pattern. The value would depend upon the specific pieces in your set. You can get an estimate for a few pieces on the Replacements web site. You can see that they have been marked down quite a bit. An individual selling pieces should not expect to get what Replacements is asking.

If you would like a more detailed estimate, ask a follow up and tell me the specific pieces involved. Also tell me the weight excluding pieces that are not 100% sterling like knives, pie servers, etc.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland