Silver and Flatware/Bracelet: Is it silver?

Hi there,

I've bought a bracelet with the following inscribed on it: D&A (inside some sort of crest or shield)   A. Saunders    Sydney   B.     Could you tell me whether this is made of silver? Thank you!

Hi, Ben.

None of these marks would indicate the piece is made of sterling. On jewelry made in the U.S., a sterling piece would have the word, "Sterling", on it or it might have "925", which indicates 92.5% silver content, the standard for sterling.

Pieces made in other countries might have other marks to indicate high silver content but the ones you describe are not included.

The "D&A" probably indicates the manufacturer.

Much jewelry is handmade and the maker may not have gone to the trouble to mark pieces with regard to silver content. So, I can't say with certainty that it is not sterling but there is nothing to indicate it is.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland