Silver and Flatware/Dixon silver falk function and age

Dixon falk
Dixon falk  

Is it possible to date and describe the function of this falk, marked Dixon with a trumpet and banner halmark, the falk has strident appearance and is about 119 mm long. The whole thing is rather slender.

I cannot answer your question definitely but I can offer some thoughts.

The length of the fork would be consistent with lemon forks in some patterns. But most lemon forks have tines that flare out to each side.

Some patterns have pickle or olive forks with tines similar to those on your fork. However, these forks are typically between 5.5 and 6 inches long.

Seafood or cocktail forks sometimes have tines similar to these but such forks also are generally between 5.5 and 6 inches.

So, I can't say for certain. However, in the modern age, many people use forks like this for whatever is needed - a pickle fork for one dinner and a lemon fork the next!

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

P.S. You might scan the pictures at for some additional information.  

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland