Silver and Flatware/Hallmarks


Hello, I have a large old silver looking soup ladle. Handle measures approx 13 inches long-scoop measures approx 3-1/2 inches across. I did the chemical acid test on this several times and it comes up dark red. Dark red is the color for 90-100% silver. The only markings I can find are on the back of the handle, 100 R.F. Each in it's own rectangular box. No other markings are present. I have been researching here online but have yet to find much. What I have found is RF in rectangular box could be Richard Ferris. Not necessarily looking for a value, but more to known silver content of this item. Any help would be appreciated


I'm not familiar with this mark. All the Richard Ferris marks I've seen have the two letters in the same box. A sterling piece from Richard Harris would have other British hallmarks indicating sterling in addition to RF.

With regard to acid-testing for silver, here's an interesting video on the subject: . If the piece is silver-plated, the surface will indicate silver just like sterling.

Sorry I could not be of much help.

Best wishes,


Silver and Flatware

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Stringer


I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........


Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland

©2017 All rights reserved.